Bubbly! Cheers!

Bubbly!  Cheers!

Friday, November 12, 2010

Nothing says fall like Apple Crisp!

I recently made apple crisp for, what I think is, the first time.   I don’t remember ever making it before?  How can that be?   Anyway, I got a recipe from my sister and then tweaked it a little bit.   The result was an amazing apple crisp; the perfect dessert for fall.   I even got inspired to make my own caramel sauce from scratch, which also turned out great.    I did not, however, get inspired to make my own ice cream.   I have to draw the line somewhere otherwise I really wouldn’t get anything else done.    But I will have to try to make all three sometime in the future.   The recipe is below.   The perfect use for those fall apples.  And, due to the apples, we can go ahead and count this as a "healthy" dessert.

Apple Crisp

Topping
1/3 cup softened butter
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup flour
2/3 cup oatmeal (quick oats)
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. white sugar
Pinch of salt

Knead together with hands.

Apples
Peel and cube 3-4 apples (I used honeycrisp apples, which were amazing due to their natural sweetness).   Mix the apples with a splash of apple juice and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.   Top with the oatmeal crumble and bake at 375 for 50 minutes.

Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes – take off foil for 25 minutes.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.  YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment