Bubbly! Cheers!

Bubbly!  Cheers!

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Homemade Hummus

I don’t know about you but I’ve always bought my hummus at the store.  For some reason it never occurred to me to make my own.   Well, I was reading Women’s Health magazine and they listed a simple recipe for hummus and declared that after making this recipe you will never go back to store bought hummus.    Well, I decided to take the challenge.   And the verdict?   It is true, I will never buy store-bought hummus again.   I loved it!   

Here is the recipe for you to try. 

Combine the following in a food processor:

2 cloves of garlic
1 15-ounce can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
2 Tbsp. tahini
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp, ground cumin
½ tsp. salt

Blend until smooth.

(I added cayenne and extra olive oil to mine; and an extra clove of garlic. You could also add roasted red pepper or jalapenos for variety.)

You will get 2 cups of dip that will keep for a week in the fridge.

Serve with pita chips, carrots, snap peas, and cucumbers.  (Or whatever you little heart desires.)

Let me know what you think!  It is so good.   I’ve now stocked up on chickpeas so I can whip up a batch next time I’m craving it.

2 comments:

  1. What the heck is tahini! Otherwise looks like a great recipe! I will try. Once you tell me what and where I can find Tahini! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cheri,
    Tahini is sesame paste. You can find it at pretty much any store now (for sure whole foods and Kowalski's). It is usually by the peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete