Bubbly! Cheers!

Bubbly!  Cheers!

Friday, July 1, 2011

Leftover Experiment; Grilled Vegetable Panini with Goat Cheese


So, last night I grilled steak and grilled vegetables.  Well, I had lots of leftover vegetables and decided to use the vegetables to make a Panini today for lunch.  I had some bread and some goat cheese and put it all together.

To back up, I marinated the vegetables (red peppers, portabella mushrooms, red onions, zucchini, and asparagus) for 8 hours and then grilled them on a charcoal grill.

Marinade Recipe
Teriyaki (store-bought)
Olive Oil
Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
Salt
Lemon Pepper

Just mix the above together in a large zip lock baggie, add the veggies and leave out at room temperature for 8 hours.   (I need to apologize because I am not big on measuring, I just eyeball things; I will try to get better about documenting my measurements more accurately).  

For the bread I used Tuscan Pane bread.  I buy it at Trader Joe’s for $3.00; it comes pre-sliced and I always have it on hand in the freezer for grilled bread to serve with salads and pastas and for bruscetta.   It is convenient and thaws out in less than 2 hours.   (Sidebar: For the grilled bread I spread olive oil and put salt and pepper on each side and then grill it - which can also be done in the George Foreman; if you want to get fancy you grate a little parmesan on top when it is done.)

Back to the sandwich…. I put olive oil and salt and pepper on one side (the outside) of each slice of bread.  On the other side I spread goat cheese on both sides and added some cayenne and minced garlic and then the grilled vegetables.    


I warmed up my George Foreman (that’s correct, no fancy Panini machine here) and put the sandwich in for 4 minutes (make sure to warm up the Foreman first).  You could also make this on the grill, or even in a skillet, like a grilled cheese, for that matter.   


It was really good and filling.  I don’t make Paninis very often but I think I will remember that it is a good way to use up leftovers.  Quesadillas are another good way to use up leftovers.

If you have any good Panini recipes, please share them with me.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment