Bubbly! Cheers!

Bubbly!  Cheers!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Recipe of the Week: Salad w/ Herbed aioli and salmon

A week or two ago, I declared Sundays “New Recipe Sundays.”   I have a huge stack of recipes that I’ve ripped out of magazines, not to mention a big collection of cookbooks that haven’t been given their proper attention, and thought it would be fun to really make an effort to try to make at least one new recipe a week.  

Well, after making that declaration, I was out of town the first Sunday and then the following Sunday something came up as well.   Therefore, I’m just aiming to try a new recipe at least once a week on whatever day(s) that might fall. 

Now, I need to start by saying that I typically only use recipes as a guide and rarely follow them to the tee.   With this recipe, I really did my own thing based on what I had on-hand.   

Another thing that I want to mention, that I have learned the hard way many times, is to read the recipe in full before you start.   Sometimes there are random twists or a different order than what you expected, which can make a big difference.

Without further ado, here is the new recipe of the week……

Original RecipeThis is the original recipe that inspired me (from Bon Appétit, April 2011 by Diane Rossen Worthington):  Spring Greens with Smoked Fish and Herbed Aioli

  
(photo by: Tom Schierlitz)
Yield: Makes 8 servings
Active time: 45 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes

INGREDIENTS

Herbed aioli:
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
Greens:
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 5-ounce package mixed baby greens
  • 1 small head of radicchio, coarsely torn
  • 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 pounds smoked fish fillets (such as trout and/or whitefish), skin and any small bones removed, fish broken into bite-size pieces

Preparation

For herbed aioli:
Combine 2 tablespoons water, egg yolks, lemon juice, and garlic in medium metal bowl; whisk to blend. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water). Whisk until mixture thickens and thermometer registers 160°F, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from over water. Cool 10 minutes. 
Gradually whisk olive oil into aioli base, then 2 tablespoons water. Whisk in chives and parsley. Season aioli to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD: can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring aioli to room temperature and whisk before using.
 
For greens:
Whisk oil and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Combine greens and radicchio in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Arrange greens mixture on large platter or divide among plates. Top with fish. Drizzle some aioli over. Serve, passing remaining aioli alongside.


My Version:  I was in a hurry last night and had some salmon and the fridge and remembered the above recipe.    I whipped up my version in 15 minutes with what I had on hand in the fridge.   I’ll call my version: Salad with Herbed aioli dressing and sautéed salmon.



Salmon:
  • 2 salmon fish fillets (trout would be good also)
  • S&P&C   (S= Salt; P = Pepper; C = Cayenne – these are the seasonings I use most frequently.)
  • Olive oil
Set the salmon out 15-30 minutes before sautéing.  Season the fish side with S&P&C.  (Season both sides if the skin is removed – my salmon had skin on one side and I prefer to cook it that way.)    Heat pan with olive oil and add fish – always put the presentation side down first (this would be the side without the skin).    Sauté for about 4 minutes on each side depending on thickness.    Set aside to cool while making the dressing.  

Herbed aioli:
  • 1 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon champagne mustard
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Cilantro
Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, garlic and mustard in a glass measuring cup; whisk to blend.  Gradually whisk olive oil into aioli base and whisk vigorously until thick (this can take up to 5 minutes but is a good work out and worth it to get the right texture.)   Add honey based on taste – I added it because my lemon juice was really tart and was overwhelming the flavor.  Season the aioli to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  My version can also be made one day ahead; just cover and chill.   Bring aioli to room temperature and whisk before using.
 
Instead of adding the chives and cilantro to the dressing, I just tossed them with the lettuce before adding the dressing so they wouldn’t get soggy.   

Note: In the interest of time I did not heat mine up like the original recipe states and made it more like I would make a Caesar dressing.   I am not afraid of raw eggs.  Most people order their eggs runny anyway and in the U.S. producers have worked hard to reduce Salmonella and the industry is highly regulated.  Just never leave eggs at room temperature longer than four hours and you will be fine.

Greens:
  • 1 package of Bibb lettuce
  • 1-2 cups spinach
Note: These were the greens I had in the fridge.  I just ripped them into pieces and tossed them in a large bowl, and sprinkled the chives and cilantro on top and then added some fresh-ground sea salt and black pepper to the greens.   Then I added the dressing and tossed to coat.  

Serving:
Arrange greens mixture on plates and put the fish off to the side of the plate.  Enjoy!
Note:  I decided to keep the fish whole rather than breaking it into pieces and putting it on top (mainly in the interest of time and I thought the fish looked prettier that way); I had lettuce and salmon on my fork for each bite. 

Verdict:  I would definitely make this recipe again.  It was easy, healthy, filling, and yummy!
Make sure to let me know if you try it, I’d love to hear your feedback or any new twists.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment