Bubbly! Cheers!

Bubbly!  Cheers!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Eat a Rainbow

Two years ago I took a nutrition class for a semester at the local community college. It was a class that I never took in college but that had always interested me. One of my main goals was to actually improve my personal nutrition and learn to eat healthier. Well, it worked for a while, and I still only make sandwiches with 100% whole wheat bread, but it didn’t take long to slip into my some of my old habits (i.e. chocolate and wine as food groups). If I took anything memorable away from the class, it was the advice to “Eat a Rainbow.” What that basically means is that try to have as many colors in your meals as possible. With fresh fruit so available at Farmer’s Markets this spring summer, it will be so much easier to do. It is healthy, and the more colors you incorporate into your dishes, the more beautiful they get (and presumably the more vitamins you get). I made a mixed green salad the other night with tomatoes and green beans (and steak and blue cheese) and the colors just popped! Eating a rainbow is good for you and pretty! That said, I had this written and was ready to post it when I got the following email…… Gotta love Maxine.


Yesterday I went to the doctor for my yearly physical.
My blood pressure was high ...
My cholesterol was high .....
I'd gained some weight, and I didn't feel so hot.
My doctor said eating right doesn't have to be complicated
and it would solve my physical problems.
He said: Just think in colors.
Fill your plate with bright colors. Try some greens, oranges, reds, maybe something yellow, etc.
So I went right home and ate an entire bowl of



And sure enough, I felt better immediately.
I never knew eating right could be so easy !!!


The timing of this email couldn’t have been better. This cracked me up as this is the perfect “rainbow” food group – just add a glass of sparkling wine for a complete “meal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment