Bubbly! Cheers!

Bubbly!  Cheers!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

My First (and last) Brazilian Blowout

I got my first Brazilian blowout this week.  


I know friends that have gotten them and loved them and when I saw a Groupon for one, I couldn’t resist.   (I’m a Groupon addict.)   And, I would never pay the full $250 price for a blowout.   I decided to try it because I have very thick hair with a natural wave to it that takes forever to blow dry and style.  If I want to straighten it, I have to add on another 30-40 minutes to my get-ready time.   So, I was excited at the prospect of smooth straight hair for up to 2 months.  

As the original Brazilian blowout promises “Through the use of a Brazilian Super Nutrient Complex and a proprietary polymer system, the Brazilian Blowout actually improves the condition of the hair by creating a protective protein layer around the hair shaft to eliminate frizz and smooth the cuticle.”

Q. What kind of look will you get from the Brazilian Blowout?
A. The hair will be left totally frizz-free, shiny, effortlessly manageable and with plenty of body and bounce. There will still be the option to wear hair curly/wavy (depending on the hair type) and the freedom to blow dry hair smooth and straight in a fraction of the time invested prior to receiving the treatment.

Q. Is the Brazilian Blowout going to make my hair straight?
A. If your hair is wavy, the Brazilian Blowout will make your hair appear naturally straight and healthy. If your hair is very curly, it will minimize frizz while enhancing the appearance of the natural wave/curl. If you have straight, frizzy hair, this treatment will eliminate frizz and promote radiant shine.

I had heard it could take more than two hours but it actually took less than an hour, and I have a lot of hair.   My stylist was kind of crabby so it actually was kind of uncomfortable.    When I got there she washed my hair aggressively (as in it hurt) and then when it was wet she combed a chemical through it, blow dried it, and then flat ironed it.   Apparently the heat of the flat iron is what seals the chemical in.   

I was told it would last longer if I wash my hair less often (not a problem for me as I usually wash my hair every other day) and if I buy the special shampoo and conditioner – for $70!  

I wasn’t sure what to tip her because the original price was $250 but it took her less than an hour?  She was also crabby and it wasn’t that pleasant of an experience.  I settled on $20 and still feel like it was too much.   I also felt like I "had" to buy the shampoo and conditioner.   Which I did, but later returned it when I found it on amazon.com for $50 for both.  

Total cost: $75 Groupon + $20 tip + $50 shampoo and conditioner = $145

Verdict
Now that I’ve washed it I can’t really tell a difference.   My hair does not “appear naturally straight and healthy.”  I will definitely have to spend time flat ironing it to get the look I had when I left the salon. 

I would not do it again.   I don’t think it was worth the cost.  And now that I’ve done a bit more research (which I should’ve done before) it turns out that the FDA warns against it citing dangerously high levels of formaldehyde. (http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/news/20110907/fda-brazilian-blowout-hair-straightener-is-dangerous)

And after further research on the Original Brazilian Blowout site, I found this…… 

WHAT TO EXPECT: When you arrive at the salon, the process is as follows.
  1. Stylist will shampoo your hair with the Brazilian Blowout specially formulated Anti-Residue; Professional Shampoo to prepare your hair for the optimal smoothing result.
  2. After towel drying, your certified Brazilian Blowout stylist will divide your hair into sections and begin to comb the Brazilian Blowout Professional Treatment through each section of the hair from root to tip; lightly dusting each section with the solution.
  3. Solution will surround each hair shaft with protective protein layers to smooth and flatten the cuticle.
  4. Stylist will then blow-dry your hair as straight as possible with a flat or round brush.
  5. Once the hair is dry, the Stylist will divide the hair into four sections and begin using a flat iron to further straighten the hair in 2-3 inch sections.
  6. Once complete, the Stylist will rinse the hair (no shampoo), towel-dry and apply the Brazilian Blowout Masque to further seal in the professional formulation. After 60 seconds, the stylist will rinse the hair once again and towel dry.
  7. The Stylist will then apply the Brazilian Blowout Smoothing Serum to further seal the cuticle and assist in detangling the hair prior to the final blow dry.
  8. The Stylist will then blow dry the hair straight one final time and style as desired.

You will leave the salon in approximately 90 minutes with beautiful, smooth, healthy radiant hair!  (http://www.brazilianblowout.com/bb_original)

Well, my cranky stylist never did the last 3 steps (6-8)!   No wonder it was so quick!   I just wrote a note to the salon asking for an explanation.   I will let you know if I hear back.    I’m seriously NOT happy.  


Update:  I sent the salon a friendly note telling them that my experience was not quite up to par and asking for an explanation why the last 3 steps were not followed.    I got a response within three hours:

"Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience, and we do apologize that you were not happy with your service. Due to the fact that everyone at the salon is self employed, I wanted you to know that I forwarded your email to Kelly and informed her that I was sending this email to you, and for her to contact you to rectify the situation. Again, our apologies and we hope to see you in our salon again sometime!"

I was impressed by the responsiveness and will let you know if I hear from the stylist.    

UPDATE:  I never did hear from the stylist and after 2-3 weeks went by I let the salon know that I hadn't heard from her and go no response.   I also had major hair breakage.   I will not be getting a Brazilian Blowout ever again, and I will certainly never go to Salon Intrigue (Minneapolis) again.  






No comments:

Post a Comment