Bubbly! Cheers!

Bubbly!  Cheers!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

Well, it is mid-July and I’ve finally kicked off summer. Nothing says summer like homemade ice cream. My only question is why did I wait so long? My answer is weak. For one, I’ve been busy. (Too busy for ice cream? That sounds absurd.) Secondly, I’ve been trying to be healthier. (But eggs are good for you and dairy has calcium. Believe me I can justify anything.) Needless to say, my trusty Cuisinart ice cream maker has made its 2010 summer début. I love that you can whip up the ice cream recipe in less than 30 minutes and be eating fresh, delicious ice cream 30-40 minutes later.

I decided to try a new recipe from my Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book.

I picked Cherry Garcia, which is basically vanilla ice cream with fresh cherries and dark chocolate flakes. It turned out really good, except I forgot to put vodka in it and now it is frozen solid. Putting vodka in homemade ice cream is a tip I got at a cooking class in Italy. It helps keep the ice cream from freezing completely solid and instead results in a creamier texture and maybe, perhaps, a buzz. I figure now that I am in the swing of summer; I will have to try at least one new ice cream recipe a month. This goal is not only because I love homemade ice cream but also because I have to prove to my husband that “yes, I do need all of these kitchen gadgets, and yes I do use them.”

If you have an ice cream maker break it out and whip some up, if not then I’m sorry – you are missing out. If you live anywhere near me, feel free to grab a spoon and come on over.

                                                                         Ingredients

                                                                             YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment