Bubbly! Cheers!

Bubbly!  Cheers!

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Grandpa Frohardt Remembered


Me & my Grandpa Frohardt, April 2012
My grandfather recently passed away unexpectedly.   Granted, he was 88 but it was still a shock.  I always thought he’d be around into his 90s.  And I wanted that for him; I wanted him to have a few more good years.    I am fortunate to have been able to spend time with him (visiting as often as I could and calling him regularly.)  I know most people don’t get to know their grandparents that well or have them taken away from them much too soon.   I am grateful for the relationship we had and that I got to know him as an adult.  I was asked to speak at the funeral and thought I would share that here……..


I’m Penelope, the oldest granddaughter and there are a couple things you should know about my Grandpa Frohardt.

The first thing that pops into my head is PROUD.   Grandpa was a very proud man and he was extremely proud of his family.   He would always mention how lucky he was and how not all families make an effort to get together with each other or get along so great.   He truly took great pride in his family and would light up when talking about them. 

Now this doesn’t mean that he didn’t embellish a little bit.  For example he would introduce his pharmacist granddaughter as a doctor and he credited his grandson Daniel with creating the Internet.    When I had lunch with him a few weeks ago he introduced me as a famous writer from Minneapolis with a husband that owns a big computer company.   Neither of which are quite true but it is always good to dream and play along.    My favorite example of his “pride” is when the family all went out to dinner at a local steak house and Grandpa pulled the hostess aside and said “you’re going to see a lot of really good looking folks in here tonight – that’s my family.” 

He was also known for his one-liners, for example – “I try to improve a little everyday, but it's hard to improve on perfection,” and “I’m already working on my second million – I gave up on my first.” 

Grandpa was such a sweet and caring man.  He liked to make sure everything and everyone was taken care of.    This truly shined when he cared for grandma after her stroke.   He was always by her side and catered to all of her needs, including taking on the domestic duties such as the cooking – which was interesting to say the least.    It was sweet to see him take on that role and embrace it with a smile on his face.  Even if he did mix mushroom soup with salsa for a dinner treat.     

He was a polite man and had the best manners.  He would always stand when a woman entered a room and would never walk in front of them.    Even later when he wasn’t supposed to, he couldn’t resist the urge to spring up to greet you.    He was the ultimate gentleman.

He also had a voracious appetite.   I remember him saying that he had room in his big toe for that second piece of pie.   I will definitely say that appetite is one thing I inherited from him, combine that with the sweet tooth I got from grandma and all I can say is that it is a good thing I work out.  

He was quite the charmer.  Always full of compliments, he regularly greeted the ladies in his life with “hi beautiful” or “hey good lookin.”

He had the best laugh and sense of humor.   A couple months ago when I was visiting, he and I were cracking up for about 5 minutes.   For the life of me, I can’t remember what had us in uncontrollable belly laughs – with tears.   I guess the reason doesn’t really matter, it was a great memory to see him laughing so hard and to be laughing along with him.    Robin described him as a joyful man and I couldn’t agree more.   He really appreciated the simple pleasures in life and found joy in everything, especially his family. 

And how can we forget his ability to chat with anyone about anything – for hours!  This was evidenced in the many times we would lose him in the grocery store or just out and about.  He’d wonder off and chat with complete strangers about any topic.  

He was also quite the story teller.  I remember him starting his sentences with “say, did I tell you about this one time…..”    He usually pulled his glass down a bit to make direct eye contact while telling it.   It was an endearing quality.   

I will miss his laugh, his stories, his hugs, his two different colored eyes, and him just being him.

Grandpa will be remembered fondly by our family and his characteristics live on in many of us.   Our memories, guidance, and experiences have shaped us into the individuals and family that we are.    And I have to say that I think the grandkids turned out pretty well - if I do say so myself.   Seriously, I am so proud, lucky, and grateful to be part of the Frohardt family; grandpa and grandma really laid a great foundation and if even in their passing they are our pillars.  They will be missed terribly but remembered regularly.

Great Memories On the Farm: Grandpa, me, and my sister - Chelley  



No comments:

Post a Comment