Bubbly! Cheers!

Bubbly!  Cheers!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Ceviche Styles

I was recently buying fish to make ceviche and the fishmonger asked if I was making Mexican style or Peruvian style.   I said “Mexican” (because I was adding cilantro), and then realized I wasn’t quite sure of the difference between the two.  Well, not wanting to be in dark long, I researched it and here is what I found……

Ceviche in General
Ceviche, which is also spelled seviche or cebiche, depending on which region it comes from, is typically made from fresh, raw seafood prepared in a centuries-old method of cooking by marinating it with the acidic juice of citrus fruit instead of heat.  Lemons and limes are the most commonly used citrus.  You can use various kinds of fish, such as shrimp, halibut, red snapper, tuna, and sea bass.   Depending on the type of fish being used, ceviche can be ready in five minutes or it might take three-four hours.  Ceviche can be eaten as an appetizer or entrée.

Ceviche's origin is disputed between many different countries and regions.   However, most historians agree that ceviche originated in the area of present-day Peru.  Despite its origin, every country has given ceviche its own touch of individuality by adding its own particular ingredients. 

Peruvian Ceviche
In Peru, ceviche is composed of chunks of raw fish, marinated in lemon, lime, or bitter orange juice (naranja agria).  Chili, sliced onion, salt and pepper are often added and maybe some garlic, chili rocoto, or olive oil.  Sea bass, shark, or sole are the kinds of fish traditionally used.  The mixture is marinated for several hours and served at room temperature with chunks of corn-on-the-cob and slices of cooked sweet potato.
The modern version of Peruvian ceviche, which is similar to the method used in making Japanese sashimi, consists of fish marinated for a few minutes and served promptly. 

Mexican Ceviche
In Mexico, ceviche is served in cocktail cups with tortilla chips, or as a tostada topping and taco filling.  Shrimp, octopus, crab, squid, tuna, and mackerel are popular bases for Mexican ceviche. The marinade ingredients include salt, lime, onion, chile, avocado, and cilantro.  Tomatoes, chilies, passion fruit, Tabasco, lime juice, garlic, and bell peppers might also be added. 

My Version
I think my version leans more towards the Mexican style.....
 
When I make ceviche, I don’t really follow a recipe but the ingredients I include are:

White fish (such as Halibut)
Shrimp
Scallops

Lime and lemon juice

Cilantro
Cucumber
Red Onion
Jalapeno
Garlic

Splenda
Salt & Pepper

Avocado & Mango

I make sure to use very fresh seafood and cut the fish into similar sized pieces (usually pretty small).   I combine the fish in a bowl and completely cover with the citrus juice.  I let that marinate for 3-4 hours in the fridge (it usually takes about 4 hours).

When the fish it done, I add the rest of the ingredients (chopped cilantro, cucumber, red onion, jalapeno, and garlic) and let that sit for about 30 minutes (at room temperature).  

Just before serving I season to taste with salt & pepper and add a packet or two of Splenda to help cut the acidity of the juice.  

I serve my ceviche with tortilla chips and slices of avocado and mango.

There are many tempting flavors of exotic tropical fruits, spices, and vegetables that lend themselves to many different versions of ceviche.   Let me know your favorites!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment